Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Solid Foods..?!?

So, I have been doing my research on solid foods. When to start them, what to feed him and whether or not to make my own. I know doctors tell you that you can start with Rice Cereal at 4 months but I have read that the American Academy of Pediatrics reccomends that you breastfeed exclusively for the first 6 months of life. I am sort of confused here as to what I should do? I had only planned to breastfeed for about 6 months so should I be introducing all new things to him at once??

I am also considering, when he does start solids, making my own baby food. It actually seems quite easy. All you do is steam or bake the veggies (or fruits, but fruits are easier to just mash up) and puree them with a little water or breast milk then you freeze them into ice cube trays in one ounce servings. I already have a food processor so its not like it would be an expensive start up.

I am just wondering what you other moms out there think of this and what your opinions are, especially on the waiting 6 months for solids topic. Please advise....

1 comment:

  1. wait the six months! the tummy isn't quite developed yet..also if he has an allergy to something it will be worse on him if he had a reaction at three months instead of six and only introduce one new food at a time! and don't make the new food a whole meal just a little bit and then wait and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete